This is the blog. Click here to go to the Zenopus Archives website.

Note: Many older posts on this blog are missing images, but can be viewed at the corresponding page in the Internet Archive

FEATURED POST

The Forgotten Smugglers' Cave: Index of Posts

An index of posts describing the Forgotten Smugglers' Cave, an adventure for Holmes Basic characters levels 2-4.                    ...

Friday, September 22, 2017

Gary Con Game Approved

I'm registered for next year's Gary Con X and just had my game proposal approved. Here's the 'long' description, which per the submission form will appear on-line:

Return to the Tower of Zenopus

Forty years ago adventurers first braved the dungeon under the ruined tower of the wizard Zenopus. Fearsome monsters were overcome and fabulous treasure recovered, but the doom of Zenopus was never revealed. The stairway leading down to the dangerous passages was eventually bricked over by order of Lady Lemunda, current ruler of prosperous Portown. However, recently your party uncovered a previously unknown means of entry. What secrets remain to be discovered in the old dungeons? Meet at the Green Dragon Inn and adventure as Boinger, Zereth, Murray or another character from J. Eric Holmes' stories (pre-generated characters will be provided). This adventure from the Zenopus Archives celebrates the 40th anniversary of the Holmes Basic D&D set.


And the 'short' version, which I assume will appear in print:

Meet at the Green Dragon Inn and return to the dungeon under the ruined tower of the doomed wizard Zenopus, forty years after adventurers first braved the passages. What secrets remain to be discovered? Play as Boinger, Zereth, Murray or another character from J. Eric Holmes' stories. This adventure from the Zenopus Archives celebrates the 40th anniversary of the Holmes Basic D&D set.

I plan on running the game twice, once on Fri, once Sat. I requested 9 AM - 1 PM (4 hours) for each day, but they are not scheduling until they get more submission.

Submit your games here: http://garycon.com/events-submission/

6 comments:

  1. Sounds real fun.Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome. Wish I could make GaryCon.

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, this is a little off topic but I was wondering if you or anyone else had ever mapped out the dungeon described by Dr. Holmes in the 1986 The Maze of Peril novel? I love the whole idea of a purple worm being in a lower-level dungeon and everything else about the story. I tried to create a map from my reading of it, in particular the first couple of chapters, just to get started, but realized that a) it is not easy, and b) if it had already been done before, I'm wasting my time. I know the layout of the dungeon is not the same as the Tower of Zenopus from the rule book, or at least it doesn't appear to be, so that map even though I have it is not much use.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks, and I am sorry I won't be at Gary Con to take part in your game. I will be at NTRPG Con in June, however.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt - good questions! I'll be addressing this soon in the Tales of Peril book club. ; )

      I hope to attend NTRPG as well next year, if so I will run the adventure there too.

      Delete
  4. I think this is a great idea and what a way to honor Dr. Holmes and Chris! Wish I could be there! Good luck and good gaming my friend! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Looking forward to a discussion of the dungeon in The Maze of Peril.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete