This is the blog. Click here to go to the Zenopus Archives website.

Note: Many older posts on this blog are missing images, but can be viewed at the corresponding page in the Internet Archive

FEATURED POST

The Forgotten Smugglers' Cave: Index of Posts

An index of posts describing the Forgotten Smugglers' Cave, an adventure for Holmes Basic characters levels 2-4.                    ...

Friday, October 11, 2013

You'll Be Amazed

Click for Larger View

"You’ll Be Amazed" TSR ad for the Dungeon boardgame and the D&D Basic Set. From the first issue of Asimov’s SF Adventure Magazine, Fall 1978. Dungeon artwork by Dave Trampier. 

"THE SWORD AND SORCERY GAME OF ROLE PLAYING FOR THREE OR MORE ADULTS

THE BASIC SET CONTAINS EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO BEGIN PLAYING THE GREATEST FANTASY GAME EVER!"

Here are some notes I wrote about this ad previously on OD&D Discussion:


I looked through Dragon magazines from 77 and 78 and didn't see this ad.

Although it appeared in a Fall 1978 magazine, it was probably created earlier, due to: 


(1) Having a Lizard Logo; the July 1978 Dragon (#16) has Gamma World/Players Handbook ad with Lizard Logo; the August 1978 (#17) has full-page PH ad with Wizard Logo
 

(2) "T.M. REG. APP. FOR"; according to the Acaeum, the 3rd print Basic set rulebook (May 1978) still had the Lizard Logo but was missing the 'TM applied for' notice. The next printing of the rulebook (2nd edition) in Nov 78 had Wizard Logo.
 

It's also interesting that DUNGEON! is promoted as a solo game. Never saw that anywhere else.

5 comments:

  1. I think the little creature drawings are by Tramp: they have his style. Check out under the name Dungeons & Dragons: I've never seen a statement before of "trademark applied for" on any of TSR ads for D&D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "TM REG APP FOR" appears on a bunch of TSR products and ads from '77, including the first printing of the Basic Set and the first ad for the basic set.

      Delete
    2. I guess I never noticed it—but I had an '81 start to D&D, even though we had the Holmes Basic then, as it was still available. But it left me long ago, so now I'm Holmesless. But perhaps there is a Holmes out there somewhere looking for a home, and I won't turn it away at the door.

      Delete
  2. Where I saw that advertisement was in Asmiov's science fiction magazine. There was also a second, similar version. I loved mazes and the whole concept so much that I was making up my own ways to play D&D before my big brother even managed to track down the boxed set for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from someone who actually saw the ad back in the day. It worked as intended!

      Delete